Thread: Keyboard Issue with Ubuntu 24.04: Caps Lock Reversed After Login

Beans

Keyboard Issue with Ubuntu 24.04: Caps Lock Reversed After Login

I recently installed Ubuntu 24.04 and am experiencing a peculiar keyboard issue. In the login screen, my keyboard behaves normally.
    However, once I log in, the behavior of the Caps Lock key is reversed: typing defaults to uppercase letters and toggling Caps Lock switches to lowercase.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• Tested with different keyboard layouts and languages; the issue persists.
    • Used both an external keyboard and the internal laptop keyboard, with no difference.
    • Installed Ubuntu 24.04 on a different computer, but encountered the same problem.

This consistent behavior across different systems suggests it might be a bug with the new release.
    Has anyone else faced this issue or does anyone know of a potential fix? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Re: Keyboard Issue with Ubuntu 24.04: Caps Lock Reversed After Login

Hello,

1) I would remove entirely the languages in question and add them again via settings -> keyboard
    2) I would check if any keyboard shortcut is enabled that leads to this behavior (during my upgrade a couple of them were changed and reverted them back)
    3) check if you have different behavior between xorg and wayland (there were same strange behaviors between the two and the reason was a bug in mutter)

These are some I suppose easy suggestions for you to try and check.

Regards!

Beans

Re: Keyboard Issue with Ubuntu 24.04: Caps Lock Reversed After Login

I am having the same issue. If lock my laptop most keys are reversed but not some special characters like ØÆÅ (I am using a Norwegian keyboard). The capitalization is correct in gnome-shell but not in applications such as Firefox and LibreOffice. The only non solution I have found is to restart the wayland session with fuser -k $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/$WAYLAND_DISPLAY but this closes all the programs running.